Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Tale of Two Days

Justin's post
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... At least that's how the past two days seem like looking back on them.  Yesterday was one of the worst I've had since starting this weight loss journey, and today was significantly better.


Yesterday was a perfect storm for tempting food and I lost all will power.  First of all, one of my colleagues at work is transferring to a position out of the country and we went to a Mexican restaurant for a send-off lunch.  So I had a typical Mexican restaurant meal for lunch that was probably in the neighborhood of 1000 calories, which is a good 700 more than I usually have for lunch.  Then for dinner Kim made this, and this dessert.  The main course is meant to be healthy and I'm sure it is assuming you eat a reasonable portion, but I had seconds and thirds and fourths and... Well, I sure hope I didn't have more than that but all the helpings have blurred together in my mind, so I can't be sure.  And since I felt so bloated from eating so much I really didn't feel well enough to exercise.  Maybe I should have risked throwing up, but I didn't.


Today was much better.  I ate reasonable portions for all meals and then I had a great run tonight.  I've gone running more times than I can remember and I've learned that there is a huge variety in the quality of runs.  Sometimes I feel awesome, have a ton of energy, run fast, and its amazing.  Other times I'm sluggish, stiff, slow, and just feel 'blah.'  The really aggravating thing is that I often have no idea why I feel a certain way.  If I knew what caused my awesome runs then I'd know how to reproduce them and I'd be superman.  But I haven't been able to find a common thread.  So thats just a long way of saying that I had an awesome run tonight and I have no idea what I did to make it that way.


What I was proud of today
I think I'm doing a much better job of working with Kim to get my exercise in.  In the past I've kind of just expected her to support me in my exercising and I've just told her that I'm going running.  Period.  And off I went.  Lately I've been scheduling it with her to make sure it fits into her day and her exercise needs.


What I wasn't proud of today
Just look at what I wrote about yesterday.


Interesting factoid
The planet Venus is the brightest object in the sky except for the sun and moon.  Its so bright that an Air Canada pilot recently thought it was another plane and dove to miss it.  Luckily the co-pilot wasn't fooled and quickly righted the plane, but several passengers were thrown to the ceiling and back as the plane dove and corrected.  I read that this morning and was thinking about it as I stared at Venus during my run tonight.


Track of the day
We Will Rock You - Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment