Thursday, April 5, 2012

Exercise Routine

Justin's post
I haven't even been doing this a whole week, but I'm really starting to see my exercise philosophy/routine coming into focus.  I think the most important thing is to exercise at least 30 minutes every day.  So far I've been able to do that and its actually very reasonable time-wise.  This week has been challenging with Kim out of town, but I still managed to find 30 minutes every day without running myself into the ground.  The good news is that Kim got back today, so I should be able to get outside and run more often (I did 30 minutes on the elliptical today).

So this is how I see my exercise routine.  On a weekly basis:
  • Exercise at least 30 minutes every day
  • 5 mile run at least 2 days per week
  • One longer distance training run once per week (Saturday)
  • Elliptical 2 days per week
  • Push-ups, crunches, etc. 2 days per week
So I'll probably do push-ups and crunches tomorrow and then go on a longer run Saturday--I'm thinking 8 miles.  I think this is a plan I can follow.  Wish me luck!

What I was proud of today
I'm still working on eating reasonable portions and controlling my snacking, but I feel like I did well again today.  It will take a little more time to hammer out an eating philosophy.

What I wasn't proud of today
This might be a bit of a stretch, but I definitely stayed up too late last night and was really tired all day.

Track of the day
New Divide - Linkin Park




El and I walked all over her neighborhood this morning.  And the awesome thing is I didn't hate it.  I think I need to find a walking buddy.  And I don't mean my four and two-yr-olds.  I think I'd want to walk if I had someone to talk to while I did it.  I didn't go overboard on eating today, though we did eat breakfast out - I left El's in the late afternoon and we didn't have lunch before I went.  Going away from your routine and, well, your home, makes starting a new regime really difficult.  I hope I have some established patterns and habits before going away again or I'll blow any progress I've made up to that point.


Confession: Baked goods are my weakness.  I mean, other things are my weakness too, but baked goods are REALLY my weakness.  Donuts especially.  Muffins too.  Mmmmm.... cake.... I've got to break this love affair with baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment