Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mind Over Matter

Justin's post
If you look back to my post from a week ago it could easily be identical to today's if I wanted.  It turns out I have a real issue with Kim's Yummy Mondays--I eat way too much.  Again I ate too much and didn't feel well enough to exercise on Monday.  But like last week I made up for it the next day (today) by having a good run and eating sensible portions.


The title of the post really refers to my run today.  I had an awesome time running the half marathon and today I was really itching to get outside and do some more running.  The weather was great and I had been feeling good--just a little soreness from the 13.1 miles.  So I started out on my normal 5 mile run and discovered that my legs were in complete rebellion!  They seemed to resist every motion I made.  They had felt a little stiff, but I stretched and everything so I figured I'd be fine.  But I realized that this was going to be a run that I would have to endure.  Mind over matter is easier said than done, but when you succeed in forcing yourself to do something hard you grow and become a stronger person.  The good thing was that eventually my legs loosened up and I had a great run.


I am a big NFL fan and I always read Sports Illustrated writer Peter King's columns.  A while ago he ran a half marathon and one of his takeaways from the experience resonated with me.  Link
The side benefit is I came to realize how eminently doable a very hard physical task is. When I've watched runners most of my life, I've thought how out of reach what they were doing was. Saturday proved to me it's not.
This is exactly how I felt.  I'm not an amazing runner and was thrilled to finish the half marathon in just over 2 hours.  I actually finished 60th out of 74 runners in my age and gender group.  But that's fine.  The point is taking on something difficult, seeing in through, and growing as a person by doing it.


What I was proud of today
Forcing myself to keep running even when my tired legs made it very difficult.


What I wasn't proud of today
Eating too much to exercise yesterday.


Track of the day
Story of My Life - Social Distortion

No comments:

Post a Comment